SureScreen carry out a wide spectrum of laboratory testing and analysis either as part of a wider investigation or as an individual test. Here are some of the routine work we carry out:
Laboratory Testing & Analysis Capabilities
– Microscopic examination and electron microscopic examination. Examination under the optical microscope for magnification up to x70, the high powered metallurgical microscope for magnification up to x1000 or on the scanning electron microscope for magnifications up to x85,000. Examination of component wear, damage, witness marks, surface finish, machining finish.
– Surface, core and case depth hardness testing including heat treatment verification. Vickers hardness, micro vickers hardness with low load, Brinell 1mm or 2mm ball, hardness conversions to HRA, HRB, HRC Rockwell by ASTM E140-97.
– Chemical analysis by:
1. Spark OES (Optical Emission Spectroscopy) to analysing metals. Gives elemental breakdown of sample.
2. SEM EDX (Scanning Electron Microscopy with Energy Dispersive X-ray Analysis) for analysing particles, inclusions, contaminates or small samples. The electron microscope can examine the sample up to x85,000 magnification and the EDX attachment gives an elemental breakdown
3. XRF (X-ray fluorescence) Non destructive and can be used off site. Gives elemental breakdown of sample for elements with atomic number of 21- Scandium and above.
4. FTIR (Fourier Transform Infra-Red Spectroscopy) for analysing plastics, rubbers, greases, contaminants. Give transmission spectra and compares to millions of known samples in the sample database and linked closest match.
5. GCMS (Gas chromatography- Mass Spectrometry) for analysing complex mixture of chemicals on a molecular level. Used for arson cases to detect the stimulant used to cause a fire.
6. HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography) for analysing complex mixture of chemicals on a molecular level.
– Weld examination and measurements to check quality. Take sections to examine and measure weld penetration, fusion and weld quality
– NDT including visual examination, DPI (Dye Penetrant Inspection) and MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspection) to identify flaw, defects, cracks, pores.
– Microstructural examination, grain size measurements, cleanliness
– Coating thickness measurements
– Reverse Engineering to determine what materials, processes, coating other competitors products contain
– Contamination examination and identification
– pH Analysis. Determine the acidity of a sample.
– Ion Chromatography to analysis levels of ions, anions (Negative charged ions- chlorides, bromides, iodides, phosphate, flourides, nitrite, nitrate), cations (positive charged ions- sodium, iron, lead)
If you have any queries, don’t hesitate to contact us.