Some of our Laboratory Testing & Analysis Capabilities
– Macroscopic Examination using binocular optical microscopy at magnifications up to X40 for the examination of components to assess fracture surfaces, wear, corrosion, and other surface features.
– Microscopic Examination using optical microscopes at magnifications up to X1000 for the examination of prepared metallurgical samples, and acetate replicas of microstructures taken at a client’s site.
– Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) at magnifications up to x30,000 for examination of fractures, component wear, mechanical or chemical damage, witness marks, surface finish.
– Vickers Hardness Testing including Vickers Micro Hardness suitable for the assessment of the heat treatment condition of metallic samples e.g. surface, core and case depth hardness measurements for the verification of heat treatment processes. Conversion of test results to other hardness formats in accordance with ASTM E140.
– Brinell Hardness using a 1mm or 2mm ball and a test load of 120kg., most suitable for cast irons.
–NDT Liquid Penetrant Inspection – SNT-TC Level 2 in addition to MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspection) facilities for the identification of surface-breaking flaws.
– Chemical analysis and Testing by:
- Spark OES (Optical Emission Spectroscopy) for the elemental compositional analysis of metals: iron-based (iron and steel), copper-based (brass and bronze), and aluminium.
- SEM EDX (Scanning Electron Microscopy with Energy Dispersive X-ray Analysis) for the semiquantitative analysis of elements with atomic number 5-Boron and above.
- FTIR (Fourier Transform Infra-Red Spectroscopy) for analysing plastics, rubbers, greases, contaminants. This technique provides absorption or emission spectra from the sample and compares this to an extensive database of known spectra to determine the closest matches.
- GCMS (Gas chromatography- Mass Spectrometry) for analysing complex mixtures of chemicals on a molecular level. Can be used for arson cases to assist in the detection of the accelerant used to start a fire.
- HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography) for analysing complex mixture of chemicals on a molecular level. Includes HPLC/MS for substance identification and drug analysis.
- Ion Chromatography for analysing levels of ions, anions (negatively charged ions: includes chlorides, bromides, iodides, phosphate, fluorides, nitrite, nitrate), and cations (positively charged ions: includes sodium, iron, lead).
- pH Analysis to determine the acidity of a sample.
Test rig manufacture and operation for a variety of product tests.
Fluid properties: Hydraulic fluids, oils, lubricant tests, lubricity, wear rates etc., particulates in oil for preventive maintenance monitoring.
Instrumentation: Force meters, tensile, coating thickness etc.
DNA Analysis: Sequencing, qPCR, species detection, mapping, contamination, food species analysis, Next-Generation Sequencing, individual identity and criminal cases.
Microbiology: Settle plates, pathogen detection, workplace monitoring, DNA sequencing.